Sicily is after all part of Italy and is the biggest island within the Mediterranean with a bunch of points of interest that make it well-known.
This gorgeous island is among the twenty areas of Italy and is known for things like Mount Etna, The Roman Theatre of Taormina, in addition to the bustling metropolis of Palermo—which is an attraction in its personal proper and may positively be included in your Sicily itinerary.
Sicily is an island that has the proper mixture of gorgeous landscapes, implausible seashores, unimaginable delicacies in addition to one in every of Europe’s finest climates, so it’s no marvel that this island is a favourite amongst vacationers and holidaymakers.
So, allow us to present you what an 8 day Sicily itinerary might seem like.
Right here’s tips on how to plan an eight day Sicily itinerary
Let’s begin off your Sicily journey in Palermo.
Day 1-3: Palermo
You’ll start your dream journey to Sicily, by beginning within the capital metropolis of Palermo which is known for its lovely fountains and superb piazzas. However principally for its unimaginable meals tradition—which is among the fundamental causes you’re in Italy proper?
Sicilian delicacies is out of this world and attracts many individuals for that reason alone, and one of many main points of interest you can not overlook is the traditional La Vucciria food market. This market holds social significance inside the metropolis in addition to enjoying a central function right here. This iconic meals market is the place you possibly can bask in all types of scrumptious and native avenue meals, expertise locals having fun with the dolce vita in addition to embrace the vigorous environment, which makes this a standout spot.
To get right here, make your method to Piazza Caracciolo, Palermo anytime between 7 am and seven pm Monday – Saturday. Palermo is a perfect spot to strive some well-known avenue meals akin to arancini (Italian rice balls) and sfincione (Sicilian pizza), in addition to take a cooking class to be taught the secrets and techniques behind these mouthwatering recipes. When you’re feeling adventurous, be sure you strive the well-known beef spleen sandwich referred to as pani ca meusa.
With full bellies, you might be able to tackle a few of Palermo’s finest points of interest over these few days.
- Cattedrale di Palermo: This spectacular Roman Catholic church dates again to 1185, and is a implausible constructing of nice significance inside the metropolis. It’s open Mon-Sat from 7am-7pm and Solar from 8am-7pm.
- Palazzo Dei Normanni: That is by far one of many best-preserved examples of Arabic-Norman-Byzantine structure and will be visited Mon-Sat from 8:30 am-4:30 pm and Solar from 8:30 am-12:30 pm.
- Teatro Massimo: The most important opera home in Italy and the third-largest on this planet.
If you end up with time in your arms and are in search of extra issues to do, then make certain so as to add these non-obligatory points of interest to your record.
- St John of the Hermits: A medieval Norman church with spectacular Arab-Norman structure. You possibly can go to Mon-Sat from 9:30am-6:30am and Solar from 9:30am-1:30pm.
- The Ballaro market: One other market to expertise extra scrumptious Sicilian meals in addition to clothes. You will discover some mouthwatering fruit, cheeses, recent fish, and native greens. Mon-Sat 7:30 am-8:30pm/Solar 7:30am-2pm.
Day 3-5: Taormina
As we speak, you’ll go away Palermo and observe the north coast in direction of Taormina, stopping off at Cefalu—a shocking hamlet by the ocean—earlier than persevering with to the east coast of the island. Taormina is a implausible resort city, which is unquestionably value a go to. In your first night, make certain to take a stroll down the bustling fundamental avenue of Corso Umberto and decide a bar or restaurant to spend at for the night.
After dinner, why not soak up an open-air efficiency on the Greek Theatre which dates again to the third Century—assured to be a terrific expertise, in addition to present insatiable views of the well-known Mt Etna within the distance.
The following day, there are a bunch of actions you possibly can take pleasure in on this lovely coastal city, together with:
- Enjoyable on one of many seashores akin to Isola Bella.
- Having fun with the panoramic view from Piazza IX Aprile, which has the perfect view of town and Mt Etna and is, after all, open 24 hours a day to take pleasure in.
- Chiesa Madonna Della Rocco for extra unimaginable metropolis and sea views, a peaceable haven to loosen up and the proper spot to take pleasure in a glass of native wine. Mon-Solar 8:30am-7pm.
- Alcantara Gorge, which is a 50-minute drive from Taormina and is a geological marvel, in addition to the proper place to go to to see superb waterfalls and take a refreshing dip within the Alcantara River.
Spend your second night in Palermo listening to reside music and having fun with some scrumptious Italian delicacies on the town.
Tip: The Godfather followers can go to just a few of the film’s movie places within the city of Savoca, simply outdoors Taormina, which was used because the fictional city of Corleone.
Day 5-6: Catania
After breakfast, you’ll go away Taormina and head to Catania. Nonetheless, you’ll after all be stopping at one of the vital well-known points of interest on the island alongside the best way–Mount Etna. This energetic stratovolcano is the tallest volcano in Europe and attracts many guests to marvel on the sheer sight of this pure attraction. You possibly can both tackle the Mt Etna path, which is round a 1-hour return and is of medium grade, or you possibly can merely spend a while having fun with the views and the limitless picture alternatives earlier than persevering with to Catania.
Associated learn: The World’s Most Famous Volcanoes
Observe: Whereas Italy is usually not an unsafe place to go to, try to be conscious of pickpockets and petty theft, particularly in touristy areas, so be vigilant and deal with your valuables in locations akin to this.
Catania is the second-largest metropolis in Sicily and is a spot that you just simply can not overlook in your Sicily itinerary planning. When arriving, count on to be greeted by a implausible view of Mount Etna, which varieties the enduring backdrop of this gorgeous metropolis. Right here you’ll spend the night absorbing the environment of town in all its glory, which is obvious on the Piazza Duomo.
The next day you’ll have the entire day to discover town’s sights, together with:
- Palazzo Biscari: Go to this marvelous palace for its unimaginable Catanese Baroque structure, full with gorgeous frescos. On condition that this historic location is now getting used for concert events, test their website for upcoming unmissable occasions. Mon-Solar 10am-1pm.
- The Cathedral of Catania: This lovely and historic cathedral is centrally positioned, so there is no such thing as a purpose to overlook out on seeing the great baroque structure which makes this so widespread. Be looking out for the domed roof, the columned facade, and the quite a few frescoes that may be admired for hours. Devoted to the patron saint of Catania, St Agatha, whose pageant is held from February 3rd – 5th. Mon-Sat 10:30am-12pm/4pm-5:30pm, closed Sundays.
Throughout your time sightseeing in Catania, make certain to refresh your self with a chilly and fruity beverage from one of many historic Catania kiosks which date again to the 1800s and are present in most of the piazzas, particularly Piazza Umberto. Take pleasure in one other lovely night in Catania, with a scrumptious native dinner of Pasta Alla Norma (pasta and eggplant) and a shocking sundown over Mount Etna, as you soak up all you may have encountered at this time, as a part of your 8 day Sicily itinerary.
Day 6-8: Siracusa
As we speak, after a recent and attractive Italian breakfast, alongside some world-famous espresso, you’ll set your self up for the day and make your method to Siracusa, which is a perfect spot to find its points of interest in addition to being near some main stop-off factors too. In your manner right here, you possibly can cease on the archeological website of Agrigento, which is among the most important historic websites on the entire island. After marveling on the numerous mesmerizing ruins, you’ll proceed to Siracuse, the place extra journey awaits.
In your first day in Siracusa, you’ll get the possibility to find many issues, together with:
- The Fontana Diana on the Piazza Archimed: Relationship again to 1907, it is a main function within the metropolis of Siracusa, which is devoted to the Goddess, Diana.
- Ortigia, which is accessed by way of a bridge and is known for its unimaginable Baroque type Piazza del Duomo–among the best in Italy.
In your second day in Siracusa, you’ll go to Modica, which is a haven for the candy tooth, on condition that it’s well-known for the Modica goodies—which you’ll style and, after all, take residence. This city is famed for its lovely array of historic buildings, its chocolate museum, and its tiny slender, picturesque streets.
You’ll spend the remainder of the day as you please, wandering this lovely hilly city, earlier than making your manner again to Catania to your final night in Sicily, closing off your implausible 8 day Sicily itinerary.