It is by no means too early to organize for winter climate. When there’s snow or ice, we all know that we are able to depend on crews to work across the clock to clear roads for our security. The Kentucky Transportation Cupboard is providing some precious ideas to assist us put together for inclement climate. Discover out what you want to know to make sure a protected journey.
Though Kentucky’s climate is nothing just like the climate I endured when dwelling in Northern Michigan, it might nonetheless worsen. Particularly on metropolis or county roads or on highways for those who need to journey. Winters are brutal in Michigan and by chance we do not get climate like that in Kentucky fairly often. However, once we will we’re fortunate to have nice street crews to maintain us protected.
Kentucky Street Crews Prepared for Inclement Climate
Salt and snow plow crews throughout Kentucky are skilled, ready, and prepared for winter climate on state routes. There is a fleet of greater than 1,365 state-owned and contracted plow vehicles on standby to work by way of the night time and into the morning when wanted. Crews have a tricky job and infrequently do not get the popularity that they deserve, however we may help by being cautious on the roads the place they’re working.
KYTC maintains most roads, streets, and bridges which can be a part of the State Freeway System. Examples embody interstates, parkways, and U.S. route designations.
Kentucky Transportation Cupboard Touring Ideas
Winter storms have the potential to derail your journey plans, so it is essential to be ready. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet provided these essential tricks to preserve you and your loved ones protected whereas touring.
• Journey solely as vital throughout main snow occasions.
• Inventory autos with ice scrapers, jumper cables, blankets, a flashlight, a cellular phone charger, non-perishable snacks, and a primary assist package must you get stranded on the street.
• Winterize autos. Have your automobile battery, tire strain, and brakes checked. Make sure that your heater, defroster, headlights, and windshield wipers are working correctly.
• When snow and/or ice are on roadways, drive slowly it doesn’t matter what sort of auto you’re in. It takes extra time and distance to cease your automobile in poor climate situations, so brake early and slowly.
• Take note of climate advisories and permit extra time to journey for routine commutes.
• Decelerate when approaching intersections, off-ramps, bridges, or shaded areas. These are all candidates for creating black ice—a skinny coating of clear ice that may kind on the pavement floor which may be troublesome to see.
• Keep a protected distance from snowplows and different heavy freeway tools and don’t go snowplows on the shoulder.
• Know earlier than you go. Obtain the free WAZE app or go to goky.ky.gov to examine site visitors situations earlier than you journey. The map additionally gives entry to pick out site visitors cameras on interstates and parkways.
• Remove distractions whereas driving (e.g. utilizing a cellphone and consuming).
Being ready for winter driving gives you peace of thoughts whenever you hit the street. Particularly throughout vacation journey to go to household and pals. Be protected!
LOOK: See how a lot gasoline value the yr you began driving
Learn on to discover the price of gasoline over time and rediscover simply how a lot a gallon was whenever you first began driving.