With one of many busiest journey occasions of the yr approaching—and an estimated 54.6 million People planning to journey greater than 50 miles in the course of the lengthy Thanksgiving vacation weekend, in response to AAA—the Alzheimer’s Basis of America is providing suggestions to assist households touring with a cherished one with a dementia-related sickness make their journey as clean and comfy as attainable.
“Thanksgiving is without doubt one of the busiest journey occasions of the yr, and the traditional challenges of journey are amplified for somebody dwelling with a dementia-related sickness, which is why households should be proactive and put together,” stated Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr., AFA’s president and CEO. “No matter how far you’re touring, taking just a few easy steps prematurely can go a protracted method to making the journey simpler, extra comfy and extra pleasing for everybody.”
Earlier than the journey:
- Make sure that journey is advisable. Somebody within the early levels of dementia should still get pleasure from touring, however because the illness progresses, it might grow to be too overwhelming. Relying on the journey length and/or the stage of the particular person’s sickness, seek the advice of with their doctor to verify journey is advisable.
- Plan across the particular person’s talents. Plan the journey mode and timing of your journey in a fashion that causes the least quantity of hysteria and stress. Account for the particular person, their talents, and desires when making preparations; in the event that they journey higher at a selected time of day, take into account planning accordingly.
- Protect the particular person’s routine. Small or unfamiliar adjustments will be overwhelming and anxious to somebody with dementia, so to the best extent attainable, protect the particular person’s routine. For instance, in the event that they usually eat round a sure time, construct that into the itinerary.
- Refill earlier than leaving. Deliver snacks, water, actions and different consolation objects (i.e., a blanket or the particular person’s favourite sweater), in addition to an additional, comfy change of clothes to adapt to local weather adjustments. Take necessary well being and legal-related documentation, a listing of present drugs, and doctor info with you.
If touring by mass transit:
- Know the safety procedures. Inquire prematurely with airports/prepare stations about safety screening procedures. This manner, you may familiarize the particular person beforehand about what’s going to occur on the checkpoint to scale back potential anxiousness. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) can supply help with the screening course of to air vacationers with sure medical situations, together with dementia-related diseases; contact their TSA Cares Helpline at the least 72 hours previous to your flight to study extra.
- Advise the airline. Let the airline know that you simply’re touring with somebody who has reminiscence impairment and inform them of security considerations and particular wants.
If touring by automobile:
- Construct in break time. Take common breaks on street journeys for meals, toilet visits, and relaxation.
Households with questions on touring with somebody who has a dementia-related sickness can converse with a licensed social employee by the AFA Helpline by telephone (866-232-8484), textual content message (646-586-5283), or webchat (www.alzfdn.org).
The helpline is out there seven days per week.